f

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Points of interest and other ramblings

Here are a couple of things I though people might find of interest:
  1. Here's an interview with Bill Bryson, taken from the Guardian newspaper. I was delighted to read he's already working on another book - though this is completely different to his previous work by the sound of it.
  2. This new Anthony Bourdain book looks like an interesting antidote to the current cosy view of food and celebrity chefs. I haven't read Kitchen Confidential yet either, so both are on my Amazon wish list, which is growing exponentially.

You know, I love books. I love them when they are crisp and fresh and new, filled with that new-book smell. But I love them when they're worn and dog-eared, and the love the owner has for them is shown in every wrinkle and turned down page. I love the sight of a book shelf, creaking under the weight of neatly stacked books. Incidentally, I sort books by author, and sometimes by subject. Anything more than that is wrong. I mean, people who alphabetise their books are just missing the whole point.

I finished The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid last night. Sniffle. I've decided I might go bananas and scrape the cash together for another new book. The question is, which one? There are so many to choose from. I'm thinking a foodie book, like the one mentioned above, but not a recipe book. Oh, God, it's too hard to choose! Maybe this one, or how about this one?

This is going to take some careful deliberation...

2 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Oooh oohhhh...tell me, what was it like???

And,Suz I could have written that exact post, word for word. There really is something magical about books isn't there? I was always bought up to revere books, and that books were *never* a waste of money. Excellent.As if I needed another excuse to spend obscene amounts in Waterstones and Smiths lol.

Agree 100% with the new book smell.It's great.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Borders is my favourite chain bookstore. Although - and this is not good for the bank balance - I have a bookshop literally five minutes walk from my house. Thank God it's quite small and the selection isn't huge - and mean, can you imagine the temptation? :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home