f

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Extra! Extra!

Apparently, Kate Moss is to design a collection for Topshop, and is apparently being paid a million quid for it. I can't say I'm as enthused about that as some people. For starters, I've really begun to find her style predicatable, rather than signature. Also, it seems a shame to me that there are so many talented young designers out there who struggle to find paid work and spend literally years as little more than slaves for big brand designers. And there is the fact that if it's Kate Moss endorsed (I can't really see her doing any of the legwork) then it'll be hotpants, skinnies, grandad shirts, waistcoats...basically what's available in every other store (possible better quality) and for a cheaper price tag.

Added to this is the fact that I'm buggered if I can understand the hysteria that surrounds celebrites. Sure, I'll admit to getting a bit of a kick out of spotting a celebrity, but I don't feel any need to buy a product just because their name is on it. The Karl Lagerfeld or Stella McCartney ranges for Topshop, Celine Dion, SJP or Britney's perfume. Just. Don't. Get. It. Unless I like the item, but then that's nothing to do with who's name is plastered all over it.

Sometimes it actively annoyes me. Case in point - the Celia Birtwell range for Topshop. The quality was awful - each garmet couldn't have cost more than say 50p max to produce, yet they were charging £40ish quid for a piece that would, of course, end up on ebay with some numpty paying a hundred smackers for it. Bonkers.

Disclaimer: in the murky world of fashion and celebrity it's hard to tell which news stories (if any) are factually correct, so this may in fact be a load of hooey. Only time will tell.

4 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Coming soon to an M&S near you... Bill Bryson-styled shirts.

Hah, what would you say to that? ;)

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Suz said...

I would say 'Bill honey, stick to what you're good at.'

:-D

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger SandDancer said...

As someone who got shamefully suckered into the Celia Birtwell hype, I do agree - although in my defence I have always been obsessed with 60s fashion and it was only because it was her that I was interested. I do quite like Kate Moss's style most of the time but it doesn't make her a designer.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Suz said...

I don't have anything against these ranges if people buy them because they like the clothes - you were into the 60s anyway - just when people go nuts regardless of whether or not they like them.

I'll wait and see what the Kate Moss range is like, but like you say, she isn't a designer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home