f

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Autumn

Ah, Autumn is here. It may mean rivulets of rain down the windows, russet coloured leaves in mounds on the pavements and darkness descending on us at 5pm, but it also means I can again start making hot puddings and stews and all those marvellous wintry things that are hideously out of place next to pomegranate salads and juicy tomatoes and rounds of goats cheese. Today I made the first baked apples of the season. A kind soul had given us a monstrous bag of organic apples, so what choice did I have? The apples, headily scented with cloves and rivers of unctuous golden syrup are ready to served with a dash of cream and a very big spoon.


God, I’ve been reading too much Nigel Slater, haven’t I? At this point, I probably shouldn't mention the vaguely erotic dream in which he featured. Ahem. Definitely too much.

Anyway, still haven’t got a start date for new job. I do however have a desperate yearning to shop. Life’s a bitch, eh?

Oh, and I took this photo:

Alice in Wonderland eat your heart out.

4 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Dianne said...

Nigel Slater? Erotic dreams? ~ yeuch!

The toadstool is wonderful!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Yes - it was rather a strange dream. I don't fancy him at all in real life!

The toadstool is pretty groovy :-)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Jen said...

That toadstool looks amazing, like part of a set lol.
Fab photo.

Nigel Slater? Is he a chef/cook? sorry lol...

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Thank you, Jen! It is a pretty cool mushroom.

Nigel Slater is a food writer. He works for the Observer among others, and is one of my favourite foody people ever. Here are some links (I must make everybody a Nige fan :-D):

http://browse.guardian.co.uk/search?search=nigel+slater&sort=date&Ntk=MultiWordSearch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chef_biogs/s.shtml

 

Post a Comment

<< Home