f

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Smile

As part of my "haul myself out of a pit of despair" offensive, I decided today smile more. So, here is a list of the things I found to smile at:

  • The man bobbing his head to his iPod in a ridiculously over the top manner, oblivious to all the other people at the traffic lights staring at him.
  • Pete, the Hunky Manager Guy. Although, technically, he didn't make me smile so much as glaze over and grin like I'd had a lobotomy. He really shouldn't smile at me, you know, it has a funny effect on my knees.
  • The blue-tacked sign hung upside down in the window of a deli. No idea how they managed that one.
  • The toy shop. I went into to this little independant toy shop that I used to go in when I was a kid. It made me remember how I used to buy marbles in there for my collection. That was before I lost them, of course.

That's just a few. The hunt continues.

PS - The one thing that didn't make me smile? My brand new computer going tits up.

8 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

What's wrong with the computer?

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Suz said...

No idea. It worked fine this morning. Then this evening, I switched it on and it booted up no probs. The I clicked on an icon and it just went thud. I tried to reboot and it said that Windows hadn't loaded correctly and a list of options to choose from. I chose the appropriate one, and it started to do something (I'm not techie enough to know) and then rebooted. Now, it gets as far as the "Windows XP" screen and then stays like that. I'm trying to get hold of my brother, but he isn't in. Honestly, just when you need him!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Oh, it said something about orphaned files. I really don't want to think too hard about what that means.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Mmh, yeah that is a difficult one to help diagnose.

I would guess that there was just a power fluctuation or something at around the time you "clicked on an icon and it just went thud", which caused it to turn off/reboot when it wasn't expecting. It then worked out there had been a problem and tried to fix it, but it didn't quite manage it.
Given enough prodding in the right place, it'll likely get itself sorted out again in the end, though :)

Sorry for hijacking your "Smile" thread with not only the boring geeky point, but also the one negative point!

Is P the HM guy the one you were earwigging on recently interviewing people?

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Suz said...

That would be him! Did you think we just went there for the coffee? :-D

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

I'm almost starting to think you only go there for the manager ;)

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Noooooo! What sort of gals do you take us for? We also go for the other cute baristas....nah, I'm just kidding. Good cake and coffee, nice atmosphere. One of my fav places at the mo.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Lucy In The Sky said...

Oooh I love independant toy shops! There was a fab one back in my home town!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home