f

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Mish Mash

I think post is going to be a mish mash of various things again.

Right, first off, dinner last night was a bit strange. I made myself a salad, but forgot the salad leaves. So, really it was just a collection of random ingredients. Then I sat down and started eating it, and realised I hadn't put any salad dressing on. I made a pud as it was my parents 23rd wedding anniversary and I made a strawberry tart, without the tart. I had the strawberrys, I made the creme patisserie, but ran out of time and energy and didn't make the pastry.


Then today, I was trying to print out a job description and it refused to print. I got a bit shirty at this point and shouted 'Dad! Why is this printer not working!?" He came up to look at it, and the thought dawned on me that it might work better if I plugged it in.

Sigh. All this not-using-my-brain time is obviously having a detrimental effect. On the upside, I have found three posts to apply for with the city council. Only admin work, but the pay is good and it would get me office experience.

On to other things now, though they are family-related too. My Grandad was in on Friday to have a pace-maker fitted, and the operation was a success. He was only notified of the appointment on the Wednesday, and I was amazed to learn that he would get in and out on the same day, but he did. As well as his heart condition, my Grandad is 81 now and suffering from Senile Dementia. He's started to deteriote very noticably recently and has started to become aggressive. I'd managed to distance myself from it, but it really hit home at my Nana's birthday party a couple of months ago when he didn't know who me or my brother were, and had to ask my Nana. Even though his memory had been very bad for some time, he had always recognised us before, so it was a bit of a blow. The situation is difficult for everyone, but my aunt J seems to really be bearing the brunt of it. Perhaps it's because she is the oldest of the seven children and is a trained nurse, but it must be very difficult for her to deal with. I have great respect for my aunt, not only because of the way she is handling this, and certainly taking a huge amount of resposibilty for the situation, but also because she is a strong, independant woman and is hugely intelligent. She is one of those people who really are an expert in their field and her knowledge has no doubt helped in this situation immensly. Apparently, my Grandad is in many ways a walking miracle, as he has a very serious heart condition, and it's amazing that he's surviving with it. Not only that, but statistics say that once a person is diagnosed with Senile Demenia, only 5% will survive the next two years. So far, Grandad has made 18 months. I love him to bits, but I must say that the situation is very draining on my Nana. She is 80 now, and had a triple-bypass a couple of years ago. She was doing so well, but she's finding it difficult to cope with Grandad. She also seems to find it difficult to ask for help, or to tell their case workers how difficult she's finding it, so my aunt has to step in for her. Of course, this provokes and aggressive response from her father.

I'm not sure how articulate that post is, but I just wanted to write something down about it.

3 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Suz-your post brought tears to my eyes.I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandad, I can't imagine how upsetting that must be... but what a lucky man to have such a loving and caring granddaughter and family.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger SandDancer said...

Sorry to hear about your grandad - as you possibly know, my gran is ill too so I do sort of know what it is like for you & your family. It must be awful for your poor gran though, but at least she has a large caring family to help out.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments, SandDancer and Jen - I really appreciate them. At times like these, I think you learn to appreciate family, and realise how strong we are all capable of being.

SandDancer - I'm sorry to hear about your gran. You and your family are in my thoughts xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home