f

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Culture Vulture

Yes, yes - the title is shamelessly stolen from the Guardian, but as I have mentioned, titles are not my strong point. Anyway, thought I'd write about a few cultural happenings of one variety or another that have taken my attention recently:

A Scanner Darkly
Looking forward to this one. I'm a Robert Downey Jr fan, and I've liked what Linklater work I've seen, so that's added to my curiosity. All this 'interpolated rotoscoping' sounds interesting as well - I'm a sucker for anything animated, so this blend of live action and animating after-the-fact looks up my street. Might go and see this tomorrow in this dinky little cinema that has big leather chairs and non-sticky floors. You can take your beer in as well. And they do Ben and Jerry's. These things are important, you know. Bliss.

The L Word - Season Two
I'm a sucker for glossy American dramas. It's the clothes, you see. And the hair-dos. Oh, and Leisha Hailey cracks me up as Alice. Total escapism. Although I am irked by the fact that we're only getting season 2 on DVD now, while America are at season 4, and we don't even get this on terrestrial. Instead we get Big Brother and The X Factor. Yuck.

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
One of my all-time favourite writers. In fact, probably my favourite ever. And I've met him. Looking forward to this book about his childhood in 50s America - he should get plenty of comic anecdotes out of that one. Oh, and I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I've met him.

9 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Now me, I've drunk milk with more culture than me ;)

I've never actually read any Bill Bryson, but I've thought some of his stuff sounds interesting :)

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ooooh can not wait to get my hands on a copy!! :D

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Suz said...

IM - GO AND READ BILL BRYSON!! I would suggest Notes from a Small Island first - give you a good idea of what his work is like.

Jen - I know, I'm so excited. Hoping he has a book signing again.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

You want me to READ Bill Bryson? I think his wife would disprove. ;)

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Matt Eason said...

NY Times has a little 'making of' video for A Scanner Darkly here. It's mostly snippets from the production style sheets but it's quite interesting.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Suz said...

OK, I should've said "go and read Bill Bryson's work" but now you're just being pedantic! :-)

Matt - I'll go and have a look at that vid, should be interesting!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Leaping round the house in anticipation - I lurrrrrve Bill Bryson. I met him too - he did a book tour for "A Walk in the Woods" and he signed my book too *sigh* If he tours for this next one, I am def going!

IM - you have to read BB, he is so bloody funny! Notes From aSmall Island is great! I've read everything he's written and can't fault him at all.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Suz said...

I know, I'm so excited it's *ridiculous*!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Ok, at worst, I'll make sure to add something to my Christmas/birthday list ;) That can always do with a little more on it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home