f

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Culture Vulture #2 and other happenings

Firstly, thanks everyone for your kind comments. It took me a while to respond to some as blogger didn't email me about them, and they didn't show up on the main blog page. They are all very, very appreciated.

OK, cultural happenings...

Thanks Sam for this. I'm ridiculously excited about this - believe it or not, I have often cursed the fact that he didn't have a British website. And I'm loving his new book. It's the perfect thing for curling up with when it's bucketing outside. Add in a cake and you've got perfection.

Secondly, I was thrilled to read this:
"Rufus is presently working feverishly on his new album for release in 2007. Sessions have taken place in N.Y., Berlin and London. Contrary to published reports, there is no specific release date set, the album has not been titled nor has a first single been chosen. You'll be the first to know if you're a regular visitor to this site."
Taken from his website. I've seen him live twice and would happily part with ridiculous sums of cash to see him again. Admittedly, his act isn't for everyone (and it's probably best to stay away if you're the easily offended sort) but I love him.

As soon as I get some cash, I plan on purchasing The Bullet Trick, by Louise Welsh. I sat in the bookshop and read an obscene amount before I thought that I really should stop before I reached the end. I've already read The Cutting Room, but not her novella, Tambourlaine Must Die, and really enjoyed that one, so hopefully this will prove the same.

Other news: well, lots of things are still up in the air, but my big bro got a well deserved promotion today. I really am rather proud of him. (Not, of course, that I would tell him that. I mean, we couldn't have him getting a big head. I jest!)

Think that's about it for now, fellow bloggers. Stay tuned for more gripping career developments :-D

PS - I made chocolate espresso muffins. For the love of God, someone stop me!!!

10 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ohhh chocolate espresso muffins sound gorgeous!! Yumm

Can't wait for Rufus' new album, need to get his others though.Again, stupidly sold his Poses album because I was broke last winter and pawned most of my CD collection-how foolish am I??

Also, delighted you're enjoying Mr Bryson's new book...can not wait to get my hands on a copy! :-)

Big hug xx

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Suz
How good is the book? I keep making myself put it down or it would be gone in a few days and then I would feel lost (I always feel lost at the end of a Bryson book), like your best friend suddenly went AWOL becasue I just get him so much. He is bang on the money - and hysterically funny to boot!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Sam - you have more restraint than me, clearly! I'm already half-way through. Terrible, because as soon as I've finished I'll wish I'd stretched it out a bit!

Jen - have you baked anything yet? The muffins I made are a mini version of a big cake I did before. It's all kinda fudgey in the middle - just how I like it!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Suz said...

PS, Jen - you sold some cracking albums! Oh well, I take it they'll be first of your list when you find employment? Do you have Want? I bought the single disk with the concert DVD (and the documentary disk too. I must be rather obsessed!)

Actually, have you Martha Wainwright? Saw her live and she was amaaaazing!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Ing said...

Guardian reader! I like you already. Just sauntered on over here from Monk's blog - interesting reading! :)

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Ing - thanks :-) I certainly *hope* it's interesting!

And, yup, I'm a Guardian reader, it's true!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Suz-Funny you should mention 'Want' I only saw it for the first time today, and I mentally put it on my 'to buy' list.

Want to also get into Martha Wainwright too. And Tori Amos, and Sarah McLaughlan...etc etc..just basically loads of music I want to get into hehe.

xx

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Martha, Tori, Sarah - seriously, you just want to raid my CD collection, don't you? :-D

Much fun has been made of my collection, actually - a wee bit too many singer-songwriters of the female persuasion! But I stand by my musical choices :-P

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ans you should m'dear!! And yes, you've got me, I *do* want to raid your CD collection ;) Sorry about that.

Actually on the standing by your musical choices thing, I'm reminded of a music lesson at 14, when we were asked to bring in our current favourite piece of music. I took in a tape (tape! haha) of Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocellis duet: Time To Say Goodbye.
Everyone else took in whatever random dance/pop tune that was in the charts that they liked.
Eveyone laughed at me when the teacher played my choice. But did I care? Nope, not one bit. The teacher said she was proud of me for standing by my choice in the face of peer pressure.LOL.

Anyway..sorry that didn't have too much of a point ot it, but you can see what I was getting at I hope? hehe.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Good for you, Jen! I can't remeber what I was into in school - I did have an Eternal album and the Friends theme tune on tape. Can't remember what else. Oh, and the Clueless soundtrack! Everyone else used to bring in 'Bonkers' (obscenely awful dance music) to listen to. God, that was hell!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home