f

Monday, August 28, 2006

The Big List

Stolen from Jen’s blog.

Let me start by saying that I am going to be completely honest on this list. I am ashamed of nothing. (No – not even Harry Potter.)

Favourite bands/singers
Rufus Wainwright

Tori Amos

Franz Ferdinand

Goldfrapp

Fiona Apple

Martha Wainwright

Restricted to absolute favourites. It would be a long list if I didn’t.

Favourite films
Shrek

Bound

Wallace and Gromit

Secretary

Before Sunset

After Sunset

Gia

All Over Me

Lost in Translation

Ooh, I could go on. But I’ll stop.

Favourite books
Anything by Bill Bryson

Anything by Sarah Waters

Anything by Chris Brookmyre

The Harry Potter series

As with music, lots and lots of others – but I’m restricting myself to my absolute favourites.

Favourite television shows
Frasier

Tipping the Velvet

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Friends

The Simpsons

Family Guy

The L Word

Sugar Rush

Sex and the City (though Carrie bugged me a lot)

Dr Who

Favourite food/drink
Pasta (Any kind – I’m not fussed.)

Salmon .

Any kind of veggie.

Chocolate cake.

Coffee. (Black.)

Chai tea.

Violet tea.

Peppermint tea. (see a theme developing here?)

Cheese. (though I haven’t learned to love blue cheese.)

Pomegranate juice

Favourite designers
I love fashion, but I don’t have a favourite designer. Too expensive. Makes me weep.

Favourite high street stores
H&M. Love ‘em – so cheap and a huge choice.

Non-clothes stores
Fopp

Delizique

Kember and Jones

Plaisir du Chocolat

Borders

Boots

Which leads me nicely onto: Favourite Cosmetic Brands:
Bourjois – not too expensive, great packaging and amazing eye colours.

The Sanctuary. I love, love, love that smell.

I Intensely Dislike (because ‘hate’ is too strong a word, dont’cha know?):
Cold callers. You should be able to get peace in your own house, for crying out loud.

People who walk through doors you’ve held open and don’t say thanks.

Noise when I’m trying to sleep.

Doors left have open.

Olives. I’ve tried, I really have. Just can’t seem to learn to love them.

The government. Is it just me, or do they not have a clue?

George W. Bush. I don’t need to explain this one, do I?

People who talk about celebrities like they know them.

People who try and foist their opinions on others.

And people who can’t seem to grasp when others have differing opinions to theirs.

Dance music. It all sounds the same!

People who are crude. I’m in no way a prude, but I believe there are times and places for all language.

People who wander about, in there own wee world and they're at the centre.

PC pish gone nuts. I mean, banning Tom and Jerry from smoking? What the hell is that?

On the other hand, I absolutely love:
Peace.

Pianos. The sound they make, the way they look. Can’t play yet, though, and that makes me a bit sad. One of my life goals.

Fresh flowers. I like anything that isn’t too fussy. Sunflowers, roses, birds of paradise. Lilllies might be my fav, though.

Anything that tastes or smells like violet.

That man smell. You know - clean, musky, a hint of nice aftershave.

Georgia O’Keeffe’s work.

Photography.

Music. Good music makes me a bit emotional. Gentle weeping at a concert is never a good look.

Someone cooking for me.

Pattern. Love anything retro inspired.

Glossy American TV, that in no way reflects reality.

Words, language. To hear someone express themselves eloquently is a beautiful thing.

Scented candles. But posh ones. Not into these cheapo fake-smelling ones, though.

Chilling out with my friends, doing nothing in particular.

Curling up in comfy and utterly non-sexy PJs watching the TV and eating copious amount of food.

Anything banana flavoured.

Going out for dinner.

Log fires.

Candlelight.

Watching it snowing through the window.

Rain. I mean when it really, really rains, and I’m tucked up inside.

The westend of Glasgow. It’s a bit hippy, a bit bohemian and I would love to live there. Great cafes, independent shops. Fabulous.

People who are skilled. Doesn’t matter what in – they could be a musician, a great cook, a wonderful singer, a skilled barista, good at DIY. Anything – I love watching someone work at something and you can see their skill.

There we go. Phew. Long list, and it doesn't cover even a teeny weeny bit I don't think!


8 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Fantastic list!
Was reading it, and nodding along in agreement at a lot of things!

Glossy American TV- yep,that's another favourites of mine.Love the escapism factor.

And Tipping the Velvet-I have this on DVD.Rachel Stirling and Keeley Hawes are marvellous in it.I also have all three Sarah Waters books, forgot to put them on my list though lol-so thank you, you've reminded me.

Jen xx

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Suz said...

There's four Saraj Waters now, isn't there? I think! I'm all confuzzled!

Thanks you! I feel there's more I could've added to the list, but it would ended up really long.

I've got Tipping.. on DVD as well. The ending was different from the book (a bit) but I really liked it.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Scarlett said...

wow - you must be the only other person I know thats even heard of fiona apple!!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Scarlett-I've heard of her too, in fact owned two of her albums (when the Pawn and Tidal), but stupidly sold them to (ironically) a pawn shop, to bring in money.Got rid of loads of my music/DVD collection to bring in funds.

Could kick myself now, of course.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Jen - head down to Fopp! They usually have When the Pawn... & Tidal for a fiver a piece.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Pug Mommy said...

You need to check out Fiona's new album, Extraordinary Machine. It is my favorite.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Suz-again, these comments have only just shown up for me otherwise would have replied before now lol

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Jen - no probs!

Pug Mommy - I ordered it before it was released! *Fab* album!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home