f

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Think think think.

Halfway down the stairs
Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair where I sit:
There isn't any other stair quite like it.
I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top:
So this is the stair where I always stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn't up, and isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery, it isn't in the town:
And all sorts of funny thoughts Run round my head:
"It isn't really anywhere! It's somewhere else instead!"

(A A Milne)

I was reminded of this poem this afternoon, when I was walking downstairs. This is what I used to do when I was a kid - I'd plonk myself on one of the stairs and just sit there. It was where I did my thinking. I found it a good place to think - it wasn't in any of the rooms, it wasn't really anywhere, and there wasn't usually anyone else hanging around to distract me. Sitting in the middle of the stairs was comforting. Hey, I didn't have a security blanket, so I had to have something.

In my old house, there was quite a grand looking staircase, and I found the optimal step for thinking was the half-landing. But I've since moved house and the new staircase isn't nearly as well suited to this. Which is a shame, because that's what I seem to be doing a lot of at the moment. And, since I'm not five anymore, I might attract some strange looks.

I'll just have to find somewhere else. Any suggestions?

3 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

I tend to do a lot of thinking in the bathroom and in bed. Perhaps its something to do with places starting with "B".

I guess I should be glad I don't often eat at Burger King. Err, although I suppose I can be confident that I do do a lot of thinking in Buildings.

Aaaanyway. I tend to end up thinking in those places not so much because I decide to, but because I am almost forced to.
I mean the number of times I have been working on a problem at work, gone to the toilet, and then the answer has hit me while I am standing there.
As a woman, I bet you're thinking "that explains why men pee on the floor then!" ;)
So I guess it's only minor revelations that hit me then. It's in the shower I really get into thinking. I just don't think enough about what I should be doing (i.e. washing), and end up standing there soaking up water, filling the room with steam, my mind zipping through a hundred unrelated alleyways of thought. It's not uncommon for me to spend 45mins in the shower.
Same sort of thing with the bed. Come home after a long day's work, go upstairs to get changed, flop on the bed, and then end up thinking about everything. Especially at this time of year when there's a big green tree outside the window and I can see the blue sky through it.

Basically, I guess I am saying that I don't think, "I'll go and have a think", as most of the time I am too busy thinking about something else.
So I do my thinking, wherever it is that I end up not thinking! :)

Simple as that. ;)

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Suz said...

I must be going mad - I was sure I'd already written this comment. Anyway, aye, the shower is a good one for thinking - it's the peace. I try not to think before I sleep, it gives me *weird* dreams!

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

I'm not sure whether I don't really dream, or whether I just rarely remember them.

Speaking of which... Good night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home