f

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Some things about me

So I realised that I'd never properly introduced myself on here. In an effort to rectify this, here are are few random facts about me. I may follow this up with some sort of mini-biography doodah later.

I'm not going to give a number - let's just see how I get on...

1) I’m an Aries.
2) I think horoscopes are a load of bull, but still read mine all the time.
3) I’m a born and bred Glaswegian.
4) One of the few good things about this city is the patter.
5) I have an irrational fear of butterflies. Damned fluttery things.
6) I hate milk with a passion...
7) …and peanuts as well. Even the smell. Although I’m not allergic.
8) I do seem to have developed an allergy to grass, in addition to the hayfever it already gives me.
9) I’m prone to ridiculously obvious crushes. You can tell if I'm in the midst of one, because I can't speak - I just stand there with my mouth gaping open, looking like a goldfish.
10) I can’t wear in-earphones - my ears are too small and they fall out.
11) I’ve never dyed my hair.
12) People seem to have a thing about my hair. In a good way, I think...I hope.
13) I watch Doctor Who purely for David Tennant. Tweed and Converse are perfect compliments to each other, I feel.
14) Sometimes I set my alarm even when I don’t have to get up, just to experience the joy of switching it off and going back to sleep.
15) People always think I’m really organised. I have no desire to quash this misguided belief.
16) I listen to cheesy music on the sly. Funkytown by Lipps Inc. anyone?
17) I’m obsessed with my camera and piss everyone off by taking constant photos.
18) I really do like to think of it as a service to my friends. Think of the wonderful (and, ahem, not quite so wonderful) events I’m documenting. And all the blackmail material I have now. Another benefit of being behind the camera, people.
19) Because of my aforementioned obsession, I am often to be found in the garden photographing various flora and fauna.
20) This caused one of my neighbours to ask if I was a botanist. I thought he was joking.
21) I love colour and pattern. I have, on several occasions, chosen paint colours that have been termed ‘dodgy’ by various family members. They were wrong. And I made them say it.
22) I’m a long vodka connoisseur. And bars, please don’t scrimp and use that cheapo lime cordial stuff. It’s so awful, it’s insulting.
23) I’ve had a haiku published (college book, but still!)
24) I've had two photos included in an online travel guide. My obsession pays off. (Figuratively, not literally, unfortunately.)
25) I enjoy the odd spot of DIY.
26) I love reading but, even so, I often buy books and don’t read them.
27) Even then, I still develop an unnatural attachment to them. I find people who read books once and then give them away one of the great mysteries of the universe.
28) I spent four years studying French and can barely speak a work of it.
29) This disappoints me mightily.
30) An Italian man was once very impressed with me because I knew the Italian for 'wonderful.'
31) It's meraviglioso, by the way.
32) I’ve also spent three years studying something I don’t like all that much.
33) I have no idea what I want to do with my life.
34) Let me rephrase that - I can think of plenty of things to do, but none of them make for terribly sensible career options.
35) I’m understanding to a fault.
36) I’m a perfectionist to a fault, too.
37) Which is why this is the tenth draft. But I got there eventually - and, as they say, it’s the journey that counts.

25 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

4) Patter? Rain? Tiny feet?
5) Weirdo
6) Weirdo
7) Weirdo (although my wife is the same)
10) Ok, who CAN wear those bloody things?
13) See 7. (ok, "purely" is an exageration there, but it helps)
18) I try to take pictures of people when they're not really expecting it :)
21) Interesting. Contagious denial? ;)
28) German, five years. Same thing. (French one year, Spanish one year too. I think I can say "My name is..." in both, but that's your lot)
29) ^ This disappoints me slightly.
30) Easily pleased? :)
31) Wow! I am very impressed! ;)
32) Bugger, I appear to have actually not asked you what you studied at college.
33) I don't think anybody really does, until you discover you're already doing it.
34) See, and here I am in a job I'm happy in, but still occasionally haunted by all those little things that I'd like to do but don't know where they fit in.
36) It's definitely good to see someone else who always types properly! So many people can, but don't bother.
37) I wonder what the previous ones look like :) I think I'm often so rambly in this blog world because I'm NOT drafting what I say. Partly, I have had that risk of deciding not to say something, if I
were to re-read what I have written.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Suz said...

4) Patter = banter. So many wonderful Scottish words, you don't know what you're missing!

And I am not weird - they're just delightful quirks :-D

As for the Italian dude, I doubt he was actually impressed. But I think we both know why he would pretend he was ;-P

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Oh FFS :) Of all the lines you could cock up, how did I manage to do it on the one about not re-reading what I have written!? :) (In fairness, I think it looked like it had word-wrapped - I didn't randomly hit enter ;)

I have (loosely) known and/or spoken to a few Scottish people. *coughactuallyoneofthemmovedtofrancecough*

Italian dude... Surely, I cannot imagine what you mean. ;)
On the other hand, are you SURE that it does mean "wonderful" and not something like "I want to have your babies", or "I am looking forwards to having wonderful sex with you, but someone told me this means simply 'wonderful', and isn't remarkable how our superior Italian language can fit so many silly English words into a single Italian word!"

I'll get me coat.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger SandDancer said...

I understand on the languages front. I did French for years and years - from very basic (and rather pointless) stuff at about age 9, up to an A level in it. I could discuss literature and politics in French at one point - now I can barely order a drink. I did German for about 4 years and can remember as much of that as French now.

Every so often I feel guilty about my non-language ability and try to do something about it. The result: I can now say my name and barely order a drink in Italian and Spanish as well.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Suz said...

IM:

Ah, yes - the Italian dude. That was an interesting evening!

Weelllll, I suppose there is a possibilty that it meant that. Now that I think about it, the word has been used in conversation with two men. Oh dear! Maybe I'm making advances/having advances made on me and not realised it! :-D

SandDancer:

You have more language ability than me! At this point I'd be glad of knowing how to order a drink :-D

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger SandDancer said...

Point to the menu and hope for the best is actually my usual tactic.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Suz said...

As good a way as any, if you ask me. And you will probably end with what you want - say a beer, instead of maybe a flip-flop - which is probably what would happen if I tried to order in the native language.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Unless you're in France, in which case no matter what you point at, or how well you pronounce it, if they recognise you as English, they'll still bring you a flip-flop.
Although you're probably better off with the foreign menu than their own translated one, if they have one. I remember having seen totally incomprehensible items on one of those! Like a "half-baked cake" :)

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Ah, but I'm not English, am I? :-P

Haven't ever had a half-baked cake, I must admit. I have had a half-baked idea before though.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Ah good point, perhaps you'll be united by your common hatred of the English then. ;)

We did try to explain the concept of a half-baked idea to the half-baked cake people :)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

btw, what's the "thing" about your hair?

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Suz said...

I don't hate the English! If I did, I wouldn't be talking to you ;-P

Ah, the hair. Well, people seem to be complimenting me on it a lot, recently. And, er, men seem to quite like it too :-D

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

I'm slightly intrigued :) So do you do anything special with it or is it just naturally a marvel then? :)

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Oh, it's just naturally a marvel :-P

I dunno. It's long, red and curly, which I know isn't everyone's bag, but I suppose it's a bit unusual.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Well it sounds like you have hair and shoes sorted out in general, then. Surely everything else is just unimportant details next to those two ;)

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger northern monkey said...

Totally agree with you on 22...had many a vodka lime and lemonade ruined by cheap nasty fluoresent stuff or over zealous pouring....but don't be biased vodka shorts work too

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Ah, a shot is always a good alternative!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Lucy In The Sky said...

My sister has red hair. I think red hair is the business!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Thanks, Lucy! I used to hate it (we always want what we don't have, huh?), but I'm learning to love my hair now :-D

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Now now, that's a sneaky pic on flikr.

I think the style of your hair is the sort of thing my wife has said she would love.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Sneaky?! How so? I assume you mean the one in the giant mirrors? Yuck - I do not look good in that!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

It's the first picture of you, isn't it? And it went up without a mention, so it's sneaky. Nyahhnyahnyahnyahnahhh. ;)

I think you look perfectly fine.

(Sorry, I'm not in a "place" to go complimenting "random" women right now, which is why I stuck to my wife's probably opinion on the hair ;)

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Nope - it isn't the first picture of me! So nyanya to you too!

Er, yer ok, I wasn't fishing for a compliment! Besides how I look it just isn't the most stunning photo, it's blurry and generally a bit pants!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Oh ok, it was just the first I could recognise as such then. Either that or there was one subtly titled "Me" that I missed ;)

Unfortunately, sometimes the best pictures don't come out as good photos. I remember there's one we took ooh, at least fifteen years ago, of our dog when she was a puppy. She looks really cute in the picture, although it's out of focus and blurry.

From memory, it's a good pic of you & G though.

(I can't go look at the moment, as I have image loading turned off during the day)

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Yeah, I liked the thought/memory behind the picture, rather than it being a good photo artistically.

And, nope, none labelled 'me' - although you can tell another opne of me by the comment left underneath. I can't label them 'me' it would just draw attention to the fact!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home