f

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Little Things in Life

Today I was musing on the nice things in life - some of the more underappreciated pleasures. Here are a few of mine:

1. That smell you get when you walk past a fruit shop.
2. People watching. I love sitting in a café, just watching everyone. My friends and I particularly enjoy spying couples obviously on their first date - it’s surprisingly easy. It’s also pretty easy to tell when it’s going well and when it’s going tits up.
3. Coffee. Really good quality coffee. Must be black.
4. Chocolate, to go with the coffee. Really dark, bitter stuff. The higher percentage of cocoa solids, the better. None of this sickly Galaxy pap.
5. Laughing. I love that state where I’m laughing so hard that I’ve gone silent - just tears streaming down my face and my shoulders shaking. Of course, seeing me like this usually makes everyone else laugh as well.
6. Dawn. Favourite time of the day, no question. It’s tranquil before everyone else gets up and starts making noise. The light is always so beautiful, I love that delicate pink the sky often is. (Obviously I’m talking about the summer here, though clear autumn/winter days are good too.)
7. Making a ritual of the wee things. For example, reading a magazine. First you need to set the scene: a freshly brewed cup of coffee - or chai - a slice of some delectably gooey cake. Then you need to flick through without pausing to read anything fully. Then going back through, reading articles in order of interest.

These are the ones that spring to mind, though I know there are many more.

7 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

Love this article! "Dawn" is a good one, my thoughts exactly. It's a bit crazy but every morning I get up and say to myself “WOW, I’m breathing now everything else is easy..." LOL .

One of my faves’ is the mist at night / early morning.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Thanks! Mist in th early morning is a good one. I'm sure I'll keep thinking of dozens of others now and I'll have to posting them :-)

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

I like the theory of dawn, but I'm normally up way too late to actually see any of that ;)

I like the smell of fresh rain.

I was in Leicester Square recently, and found myself sitting upstairs in a Burger King for some lunch, staring out the window watching all the people.

Galaxy is my favourite chocolate. ;)

Laughing... Sometimes I feel I laugh too much, although I suspect there's no such thing :) And why do I always end up laughing when I want to keep a straight face! Especially when I'm trying to pretend I don't know anything about something, or when I'm *cough*trying to hide to jump out and surprise someone.

Listening to the radio and enjoying a bunch of songs that I actually like, all in a row :)

You do like your cake, don't you! :) You remind me of my sister, although she has a much greater chocolate fascination.

Oh, and looking at my bank account and finding I have more money than I thought! :)

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Suz said...

You know, I didn't used to have that sweet a tooth, but I've gone a bit bananas recently. Maybe it's the sunshine that's muddled my brain or something...

Oh, and the smell of fresh rain is a good one!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I agree with the beauty of dawn. Sometimes during the summer, this is the best time to go for a walk. Everything is still, timeless as if you are the only one that exists in the world....until some random vehicle passes by of course =)

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Yeah, the random vehicles tend to shatter the illusion a bit! A way round this is to be on a beach at dawn - that's perfect!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home