f

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

In answer to your questions...

No posts for a day, then three come along at once. Well, Inspector Monkfish asked some very reasonable and sensible questions in a comment on this. Although, just because they are sensible and reasonable doesn't necessarily mean I can answer them. Here goes nothing...

Why did you decide to go to Uni next year rather than this year?
I decided to go to uni next year as opposed to this as I needed a break. I couldn't stand the thought of another year of essays and deadlines and no money and having to deal with lecturers. The thing with work is, it might knacker you, but you go home and can forget about it. All that plus I was just ready for a change. Was originally supposed to go to uni last year, but various factors - the late date I applied and got a place, money issues and so on meant I didn't. I was pretty disappointed at the time. I keep wondering how things would've panned out if I had gone. Lots of things would have turned out differently, I'm sure. I don't know how they would've been different, whether better or worse, so I can't comment.

What sort of jobs are you looking for?
Preferably something in PR or thereabouts. Loosely related in some way to media - after all that's what I've spent years studying! Lots of competition for such jobs, though. I'm applying for various things however.

What would you want to do at Uni?
English or media, I think. Although I quite fancy the idea of going back to college and studying photography, but that's just in the hazy depths of my mind at the moment.

What sort of job do you actually want to do?
Tough question. I don't know. Can I just say something interesting and leave it at that for just now? Maybe something in publishing. Really haven't much of an idea.

Phew. Well, I don't know if that's helped, but at least I've answered all the questions!

11 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

[After typing a few things, eventually manages to avoid jokes about PR bunnies and PR not being QUITE as bad as marketing... oh, wait, bugger]

Why "PR or thereabouts"; what attracts you to it?

When you refer to "media", what sort of thing are you referring to?

How do I turn lead into gold?

Not knowing exactly what sort of job you want to do is pretty normal, I think :)

As an aside, I haven't really used flikr myself, so I don't know what sort of features it has, but I am vaguely aware of stock photography sites that anyone can upload pictures to, and you receive a small fee if someone wants to use your picture. Likely not enough to make a living, but it could be a start.

Thanks for your answers :)

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Yeah, I've heard of stock photography sites as well. Haven't looked into it yet.

If I could answer your third question all of this discussion would be irrelevant ;-P

As or question one. Er. Well, it's fair to say that PR probably isn't my dream job, though some of the vacancies I've seen look interesting. When I refer to media, I mean in the sense of tv, film, books, art. Pretty broad, really.

I remember having a conversation with a someone about my dream job. And he made me list all the things I'd like to do and then how I could small steps to achieving what I want. Don't really know why I'm mentioning that, but all this made me think of it.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

ALL the things you want to do?

I'm confused. Surely the first step would have to be "turn lead into gold" after all? ;)

Oh, and I won't comment as to your status of being a "pretty broad, really" ;)

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Ha! Not what I meant by "pretty broad" and you know it! Not than I'm not, you understand :-D

As for the rest, well, I'm sure I had a recipe for turning lead into gold, but gosh darn it, I can't find it anywhere!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

...Modest, too ;)

So when were you questioned about said dream job, and would that list be any different now?

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Suz said...

No, I don't think so. This was only a couple of months ago, so I think the list would probably be the same!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger gone said...

i am like the same as you but i have to wait for grades to come back on august 24th. But like mine are real difrent Social work because people rekon i could do it, but my secret kinda thing would be to take a degree in dance. I love it but it aint practicle.

Me and you in the same dam boat...haha

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Oh well there you go, snow. Simply combine those two ideas and become... A mime artist. ;)

I went to college 16-18 and was then unemployed for a year. I couldn't find a job I wanted, and living at home, it was like they pay you a small fortune for being unemployed, so I had no desperate need of finding something inbetween nothing and what I wanted.
I'd had enough of education by college (too bureaucratic) (by 'eck, 'ere I is speaking of educashion, and it took me several failed attempts at spelling "bureaucratic" before I spell checked it, and even then, it took me several goes to get a word it could recognise!)
(ok, now a moth has just landed right on top of this comments box)
Right, bugger, was trying to have lunch at the moment too (was working hard, only just got around to it), but now I've got to go sort something else out. Apologies for rambling and not actually getting anywhere :)

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

...As I was saying...

I'd had enough of education by college. I knew what I wanted to learn, but they tended to refuse to actually teach me. After all, why teach someone the subject they wanted to take, when you can bung in 100 smaller unrelated ones? Grr ;)

Upon reflection, I don't think I'd have highly valued the education I could have received at university, however the life-style and general studenty culture could have been good for me.

Unfortunately, it's just one of those things that you can likely always end up wondering "what would have happened if..." regardless of which way you play it.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Suz said...

I can relate to what you've said. We seemed to get taught things that didn't feel especially relevant.

Part of me does still want to go to uni, part isn't so sure. Will just have to think on it.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

I'll tell you what though. I so miss having not half as much time as I used to.

Even at college (2nd year - 3 days/week) and then when unemployed for a year, I felt like I never had enough time to do this or that.

But today... I left work about 6:30, went for a very short walk, did a quickish shop (didn't reaaally need one yet, but we'd run out of ice-cream), got petrol. Came home, flopped out from the heat for a bit, just went for a shower. And now it's 9:30pm and I haven't even eaten yet!

And on top of that, I now sound like an old man! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home