f

Monday, July 10, 2006

Hey, Cupcake...


I’ve been at it again - more baked goods. This time in the form of some very prettily decorated (if I do say so myself) cupcakes. Yesterday, I had a sudden urge to make something involving disgusting amounts of frosting and little sugar flowers. The frosting ended up yellow, but in fact I had a wanted a delicate shade of pistachio green, with little pink sugar flowers - in my head a sort of a retro ‘50s theme. But Tesco, amazingly, didn’t stock pistachio green food colouring. Honestly. I mean, isn’t everyone as concerned with the colour of their frosting?

Anyway, visions of American roadside diners floated through my head. Me, coffee pot clutched permanently in hand, wearing a cute little uniform - maybe a full skirt, a little apron - name tag stating ‘Patty.’ A beehive hairdo and frosted pink finger nails. A trucker called Earl demanding coffee, me responding in a deep, honeyed tones, “just a minute, hon…” while I busy myself with wedges of apple pie and eggs over-easy…

*cough*

Anyway.

Tesco didn’t want to play and didn’t have the green food colouring. So instead, I went for a jaunty pale yellow shade. As Nigella so beautifully sums it up, ‘pastel shades work best here, whatever your everyday aesthetic.’

4 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

lol, thought you were getting a bit carried away there ;)

They may not be the colour you want, but the icing does look pretty nifty :)

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Yeah - my mind does tend to wander on occasion :-)

And thanks - I think the ice did turn out ok, but I wanted pistachio green, goddamit!

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger c said...

You can mix food colourings like paint. Blue and yellow make green, don't they?

The bun looks delish. A real work of art.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Ah, but that wouldn't have been the *right* shade of green, namely pistachio - for that I would need Colourway's food-colouring paste in 'Gooseberry'.

And it was delish. Thatnk God I only made four.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home