f

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Half-life

Ah, I am a gaming geek. In a fit of tidying out recently I re-discovered a computer game that both I and my brother (ok - just me. I'm just trying to share out the geekiness.) used to be obsessed with - Half-life. In the game, you play a character called Dr Gordon Freeman, who works in the Anomalous Materials department. After an experiment goes hideously wrong, and the Black Mesa research facility is invaded by alien beings, he must save the day in typical heroic stylee. Yes, yes, it's a load of mince narrative-wise, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Glooping aliens with a variety of weapons is a fabulous way of getting rid of some aggression. And once you've saved the world once, you can progress on to Half-life BlueShift playing Barney and finally Half-life Opposing Force playing a military goon. Hours of good, honest fun.

Also rediscovering my inner hero will give me something to do when escaping from the heat outdoors. It is too hot. I can stand it during the day, but it's murder trying to sleep in it. And to think I stupidly chucked out my fan because it had stopped oscillating (fabulous word).

This evening I shall fling on something floaty and brave the heat to enjoy good-natured banter and iced-coffee. What else can you do, eh?

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Sweet - I finished Half Life 2 on Thursday! I started it about a year ago and all of a sudden started playing it again a couple of weeks ago.

I never actually played the original (I have been wondering about it now, though), although I have the feeling we do own it.

And I bet you could buy a new fan with the money a few iced-coffees would cost you ;)
But wearing something floaty on a hot evening and enjoying some good-natured banter? Priceless.
Uhoh, now I've turned into a MasterCard advert!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Suz said...

I haven't played Half-life 2! I am very jealous!! Don't have the cash to splash on a game. You should play the original - it's retro! It's vintage! And I'm sure it has questionable graphics!

So do you enjoy wearing something floaty of a summer evening them, Inspector Monkfish? I mean, to *me* it's priceless, of course - and you obviously agree! :-P

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

What I do in my own free time for a bit of extra cash is my own business. ;)

Ok, I did think that perhaps I should have put some sort of disclaimer in that when I originally wrote it, but then for some reason I decided not to.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Hey - I'm not judging you, man. Whatever floats your boat :-P

Ha, interesting - I wonder why you ommited the disclaimer? :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home