f

Monday, July 17, 2006

Fashion! Turn to the left...

I was sorting out my wardrobe yesterday. OK, if I’m honest, I was sorting out my ironing basket, which is threatening to mutiny and take over the whole room. Anyway, I realised how many items I own with dots. I detest anyone who buys into a trend for no other reason than it’s popular, and I was suddenly struck with a terror that I was a *whisper it* fashion victim. However, I managed to talk myself down by saying that many of the pieces were in fact not polka-dot, but actually had a large circular pattern, and anyway I only buy things if I like them. I also take comfort in the fact that I haven’t bought into the current leggings obsession. It’s not impossible to look good in them, but lets face it, you need the figure of Kate Moss.

I love fashion with a zeal shared only by my love for food. I don’t have great confidence when it comes to actually wearing clothes, though - I either feel I haven’t made enough effort, or made too much and I look contrived. Well, I used to feel that way, recently I’ve felt more comfortable about the whole thing. Somewhere in my head the notion that fashion should be fun, and that maybe the fun shouldn’t stop as soon as I take the clothes off the hanger, finally clicked.

My friend R is a fashion design student, and, to me, has that indefinable quality that makes someone seem like the most interesting, stylish person in the place - she‘s ‘cool‘. Therefore, each time this happens I’m just as amazed as the first time - almost every time I see her, she demands to know where I got some item of clothing I’m wearing from. She has been known to ask if she can riffle through my wardrobe. The girl has even said ‘Suz, you’re always wearing such amazing things!’ This is definitely an ego boost, let me tell you.

Maybe all this sounds shallow, but it’s the truth - fashion is fun, and if any men reading this think women dress for them, they’re wrong. Well, occasionally we do - but only if you’re very nice to us. Or there is the prospect of you being very nice to us. Women dress for other women. Receiving a compliment from another women is one of life’s great pleasures.

I guess fashion appeals to the creative side of me - working with colour and pattern and shape. I will never understand how people such as Victoria Beckham gets lauded as a fashion icon - I have nothing against the woman, but she wears head-to-toe (or head-to-bum-cheek, recently) designer. Where’s the fun in that? It doesn’t take any imagination; it tells you nothing about their personality. I like rummaging through Primark, H&M, New Look (all the cheapie shops) and coming up with something. I know I wouldn’t get the same buzz paying £800 for a bag. In fact, I think it would make me baulk. I also know that vintage is all the rage, but I’ll admit to being a wee bit funny about wearing someone else’s clothes. Who knows where they’ve been? Maybe not terribly fashionista of me, but never mind - vintage is just another trend to follow or disregard.

I was taking about this recently with my friend, about what it is to be, or not be, a typical ‘girlie girl.’ I wouldn’t say that I am a typical girlie girl, if in fact there is such a thing. But I do love clothes, dressing-up, make-up - the whole shebang. I love being a woman.

Maybe I’m not talking about ‘fashion’ here - to me, that’s a different thing to loving clothes. I suppose I’m more talking about style. Besides, ’fashion’ is too big a debate to tackle here. What is fashion? Is high-fashion art? Is it worth the money? And so on. I feel I have more to write about this, but I’ll leave it here for just now.

14 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Sorry, wasted more of my lunch hour than I was expecting (Walked for longer than I was expecting, then took my time making my sandwich - I have all my ingredients at work, and I put in pretty much all of them ;)
Just enough time to say that your post did remind me of this, which I chanced upon recently.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Not sure if I should own up to this, but what the hell? I have that dress is pale grey. Given that they've sold so many, I haven't seen anyone wearing it in grey at all. I've seen one person wearing it in blue. Oh, no - I must be a fashion victim after all! :-D

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Right, I'm going to bloody well get around to posting a comment about this lot now! ;)

Yes, it doesn't surprise me that women dress for other women. And I've also seen some of the other side of "recieving a compliment from another woman is one of life's great pleasures" - ooh, girls can be bitchy sometimes ;)

I was recently somewhere (well, on honeymoon) which had a vast number of designer/trendy shops - name any expensive brand, and they had AT LEAST one shop there.
It was quite interesting as there were quite a lot of tiny Japanese girls there, and the vast majority of them appeared to be there only with the purpose of going to all these shops! Wandering around, flashing their designer shoes, handbags, or strappy tops. And preferably at least one small branded shopping bag, with probably some insanely overpriced piece of tat in it ;)

Personally, I don't think I'm especially "stylish", but I don't think I am unstylish. I try to think about what I'm wearing, and what I do/don't like, but I'm not strongly opinionated in general.
Most of the time I'm just in jeans and a t-shirt ;) Although I do find it quite difficult to get reasonanly priced trousers recently. Ideally, I want 30" waist and 30" leg. But there's rarely enough in stock of those! Especially if I don't want an "expensive" (ok, I've got very tight with clothing - expensive means more than £20 here) pair.

I've thought/talked about "girly girls" before too. I'd tend to think of pink and fluffy girls (you know what I mean!) as being girly girls. Beyond that, there are different degrees of girlyness.
I think it's good for a girl/woman to be at least a little bit girly :)

My impression of you based on what you've written is that you sound as though you strike a good balance of being girly, stylish, and cultured.

Oh, and just a little bit geeky too, then ;)

[duck]

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Why do you feel the need to duck? That's a fanatsic compliment you offer there! I can indeed be girly - I love makeup and clothes and spend an inordinate amount of time faffing with my hair, but I also quite like the odd bit of DIY and don't mind getting manky or breaking a nail.

I've been on the bitchy side of women - alot. And it isn't pleasant. I don't understand the need that some women/people have to be so utterly horrible.

Again, I feel I have more to write, but must get on with job applications!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Oh it was only the last sentence I felt the need to duck from, following your attempt to "share out the geekiness" earlier ;)

Speaking of ducking (oooh that was close - still using this new keyboard that I'm not used to - "ducking" was very nearly a different word had I not have spotted my mistake!), Girl + DIY = Run away! Run away! ;)

(Not that I'm any good myself, but I feel that as a bloke, it's my duty to point out how poor women are at DIY, even if I have no evidence supporting the fact)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Bloke, shmoke - I'll have you know I have pretty damn decent DIY skills. Could you sand, stain and polish a floor? Huh, bub? :-D

And, hell, I may as well accept my geekiness as well.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

lol, now you're reminding me of Monica off of Friends :-P

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Er - I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment. :-D

Although, I notice you did neatly avoid the question I posed...

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Sorry, I just threw in a quicky before I left work :)

I can't say that I COULD, but neither can I say that I COULDN'T, having never attempted to do so :)

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Ah, well if you can't commit either way, then you shouldn't comment on a lady's DIY ability :-p

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

It's in part of the contract for being a man. I have to disregard all facts and point out how poor women are at DIY ;)

Incidentally, if you drive, then your parking really sucks. ;)

Oh ok ok, I actually think it did sound fairly impressive :)

So, I shall update my original statement... You seem to have a good balance of style, culture, geekyness, practicality, intelligence, humour...

Of course, being a woman, you'll no doubt ignore that bit and tell me what I didn't mention ;)
Oh! And a pinch of sillyness and insanity ;)

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Style? Cultured? Geekyness?... Nope - I think you've covered everything there nicely :-P

And I would say it's more than a pincgh of insanity - believe me, you have *no* idea!

And, no, I can't drive. Had a few lessons then ran out of money. :-(

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Suz said...

"Of course, being a woman, you'll no doubt ignore that bit and tell me what I didn't mention ;)"

I would argue with that, but I think there's probably a grain of truth there. Of course, you being a man...well, I could point out all the flaws of the male species, but I was raised to be a polite gal, so I won't. :-D

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Pff, you so could not do that.

You'd wear your keyboard out ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home