f

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Blondie: One Way or Another

I watched the Blondie documentary that was on the other night - just how fabulous is that band? Debbie Harry had such a stunning look way back when and she still looks bloody fantastic now. I liked how her hair was so commented on - apparently it was so radical, so trend setting, so daring. Nope - she just couldn’t see the back to do it properly. That kinda tickles me. She had amazing stage presence and had that elusive natural ‘coolness’ that other performers spend their lives trying to recreate. Give me Deborah Harry over Madonna Ciccone any day.

You have to admire how they successfully tackled so many varying musical genres - disco (Heart of Glass) to rap (Rapture) to reggae (Tide is High) Not only that, but they’ve such a lasting effects on music acts of more recent times. Mind you, this isn’t always a good thing - remember Atomic Kitten’s mangled version of Tide is High? If you don’t, you’re lucky.

One thing I did learn from the documentary that I didn’t know was Chris Stein’s enthusiasm for photography. He’s produced some excellent portraits of Debbie Harry. Although this was no doubt helped by his subject - surely it would be pretty difficult to take a crap picture of her?

Anyway, it made me go and dig out all the various Blondie albums I’ve got floating about. It’s just too tempting to sing along though. My poor neighbours.

5 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

*cough*iactuallyjustrealisedthatihaveatomickitten'stideishighinmycollection*cough*

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Suz said...

I'm appalled.

That is all.

:-P

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

If it's any help, I do have Heart of Glass and Maria.

Unfortunately though, as I may have said before, I am not especially good with music. I think I have heard The Tide Is High was a cover before, but I certainly didn't know when I first heard it.

Actually, I do have a few songs that pop up randomly about which I have been thinking, "Oh God, I really must get rid of that! What was I thinking?"

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Not knowing it was a cover is no excuse for owning an Atomic Kitten single. I know I used to have one, but I was like 11 or something at the time! God, I think I might be a music snob after all. :-(

Anyway, seeing as you own Heart of Glass and Maria, I'll let this one slide!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

*cough* I have nothing more to say.

Not without greatly embaressing myself ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home