f

Sunday, July 02, 2006

"Blessed are they...



...who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing."

I saw this quote by French Impressionist painter Camille Pissarro in the art gallery yesterday, and it instantly appealed. This is a notion that has been swirling round my head for a few weeks now - really since I got into the photography, which has changed the way I see things. Or perhaps more accurately, I see things now when I didn't before. I know that I can be prone to glass half-empty thinking, which is something I'm trying doggedly to get away from. I'm trying to look for the beauty in everyday, mundane things; and so far, it seems to be working. It is amazing the capacity we human beings have for wandering through life with our eyes focused on the pavement. Maybe we're all just waiting (or looking?) for something to trip us up. But so what if it does? At least it'll make a funny photo for someone else.

4 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

Surely a glass half-full attitude would help to see beautiful things?
Especially dependent upon what the glass was half-full of ;)

Everyone looks. Not everyone always sees. And when they do, everyone does not see the same thing.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Ha! That should've said 'glass half-empty"!! Will edit that pronto!

True, everyone seems everything differently - I'm just questioning how I see things. I'd like to think that I do *see* though.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

lol, it's amazing how easy it is to say the opposite of what you mean on these things, sometimes :)

Someone sent me an e-mail recently with a whole bunch of images in that had more things in than may have first been obvious. I can't find the same thing on a webpage, but Google has come up with this:
http://www.coping.org/write/percept/content.htm

At work, I'm amazed how often I walk into a room with other people working and immediately notice something feels wrong. I look up and notice a lightbulb has gone. Sometimes, even the people who work in the room haven't noticed.

Of course, on the other hand, I came home the other day and didn't see what was in front of me as I turned the corner to our front door. I did receive a minor bit of a bollocking then for not having noticed all the new plants that had appeared in our pots ;)

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Suz said...

At least she hadn't got a new hair 'do and you'd missed that - then you really would have gotten a bollocking!

I have an amazing capapcity for being both super-observant and mssing really obvious things. Oh well, it's the quirks that make us more interesting :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home