f

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Before Sunset

Oh, dear. Since I watched my Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset double bill (well, because of Before Sunset, obviously) I've had this desperate yearning to go to Paris. To sit in a cafe, with someone I like, drinking coffee. But, it looks like that dream will have to be put on the back burner, for numerous reasons - primarily, I have no money, and neither does anyone else. I know I've made a whole big thing with myself recently about enjoying the small things in life, but sometimes my dreams and ambitions turn up and smack me round the head, and suddenly I'm engulfed in a horrible cloud of frustration. I suppose the aim is to enjoy the small pleasures without letting go of your dreams. Sounds easy, but it's a skill not many people master, I think.

Back to the movies. Well, I really need more time to digest them before I can write any sort of critique. One of my pet hates is when you come out of the cinema or theatre, or even a gig, and you're expected to have formed an opinion already. I mean, obviously I can say whether or not I hated something, or if it has given me pause for thought, but that would be about the sum total of my input into the conversation. At this point, I can say that Before Sunset is my favourite of the two.

Right, I must mention small pleasures. Well, yesterday I treated myself to a new silicon spatula. You know you're a cool, hip, chick with your finger on the pulse when you get excited about kitchen utensils. And, of course, I had to road test my new spatula, so I made chocolate cherry cupcakes. I'd like to say here that I don't personally consume all the sweet things I make - I'll have one or two, or a slice of whatever, and the rest gets shared around. I'm not that bad that I eat it all myself. Although I realised my enthusiasm was maybe getting a bit much when I found a blog dedicated to cupcakes and I squeaked with excitement.

Also, just to prove that I do make healthy (well, healthier) things now and again, I've included a photo of the very delicious salad I made for dinner last night.

4 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Inspector Monkfish said...

I think that once you finish cooking/making/preparing food, there's something of a sense of achievement :)
I guess it's like what you said previously about making a ritual of it. You've spent all that time getting it ready and to exactly your own tastes, that when you do finally sit down to eat, there's that sense of achivement and impending enjoyment :) (I'm sure I was after another word there, but it slipped my mind as I was about to use it)

I haven't seen Before/After Sunset. Perhaps you need to find a film to watch which is set somewhere more your way. Like, uhhrm... Highlander? :) It's well known as a, uhh, classic story of love set in times gone by. ;)

And lol at the thought of you squeaking over a blog about cupcakes! :) It always makes me life when I hear my wife do that sort of thing :)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Suz said...

It's the process of cooking something that I love - I like shutting the kitchen door and just getting on with it, knowing what I'm doing, working with the ingredients. I usually end up getting pissed off when people are in the kitchen when I'm trying to cook - but I don't want to be an unsociable hostess, so I'll need to work on that!

You hsould watch Before Sunrise/Sunset - lovely films. Almost restores my faith is people. Think I should get all my friends to watch them too - seems to be what everyone needs at the moment. Oh, and I really want Celine's appartment in Before Sunset!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Lucy In The Sky said...

I can confirm that while Paris is a beautiful, romantic city, being there isn't as Parisian as films would have you believe, if that makes sense. I didn't see anyone sitting outside a cafe when I went.

I thought if I attempted to shatter the illusion for you you wouldn't mind not being able to go right now :o)

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Thank you! I need someone to shatter the illusion, otherwise I'll just mope :-P You see recently, everyone's been telling me how fab it is, so I need someone to tell me the opposite to balance things out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home